Moving Stickered Lumber

Advice on bundling stickered boards for truck transport. February 12, 2007

I have an interesting question. I recently accepted a new position that will require me to move from central Missouri to just north of Richmond, VA. I currently have approximately 1000 bdft of stickered 4/4 walnut that I have sawn over the past month that I want to bring with me. Does anyone have comments on the best method to transport this lumber? The current plan is to stack the lumber in an enclosed moving vehicle, avoiding exposure to the elements. I am hopeful that the lumber will remain in this vehicle for no more than 2-3 days. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest just selling it with an ad in the paper. Moving wood that far just doesn't seem profitable, unless someone else is paying! I would guess that you can get some more walnut logs when you get to Virginia.

If you do take the lumber, you will be moving, what, maybe 3,200 to 3,500 lbs of wood? That is a lot of weight and space added to your moving cost. Selling might not be a bad idea.

On the other hand, keep in mind that you can easily un-sticker the wood, move it dead stacked, and then re-sticker a few days later. Removing the sticks will save a lot of volume and will improve the travel stability of the wood stack. If you leave the partly dried wood dead stacked for no more than the time you mentioned, you should have no serious mold issues - not with walnut. Don't forget to take your sticks! You will need to restack with the stickers. Is it worth all that?

I did forget to mention that the company will be covering all of my moving costs. I just need to load the lumber myself. Thanks for the comments.

Use 3 tie down straps. Go all the way around the bundle. This will secure the bundle and the sticks will not move. If you have a flat bed, then tarp the bundle. We ship stickered lumber by the semi load. We use 1/2 inch plastic banding on each bundle and then the truck tie down straps keep the bundles nice.

I agree with contributor P - unsticker, dead stack and strap 'er down good.