Outputting AutoCAD Files to PDF

More advice on this common, but sometimes pesky, task. February 26, 2007

Question
Iím having trouble converting from .dwg to .pdf with this one file for some reason. I keep getting an error that says {limit check, image distiller, postscript error} Iím using ACAD 04, 2 gigs memory. What is the problem?

(CAD Forum)
What program are you using to convert a dwg to pdf? Sometimes if you have an OLE object in the drawing it will hang up Acrobat Distiller. If you are using Adobe PDF Writer it will hang as well. Here is how I get around theses problems using Adobe PDF: (This is for layout tabs not model space)
Make sure you have AutoDesk DWF Viewer installed. If not, go to AutoDesk.com and get it. Itís a free download.
Open the drawing you wish to plot and type Publish
In the publisher remove the model tab from the list
Click the publish button
When it is through select View DWF File
Go to File>Print
Select your PDF Printer
Select the correct settings
And print.

This is a quick and easy way to print a PDF Catalog
If plotting to a 24 x 36 you might have to setup a custom postscript paper size in the PDF Printer.

I tried the publishing and that did the same thing. The only way it would plot is if I removed the attached materials, and even then the plot was inaccurate and incomplete. This isnít my first attempt and Iíve converted larger images with more types of material with no problem. I tried converting from dwf before also and the pdf file is 20 times larger than if I just converted straight from dwg. That created an issue with emailing. Iím using Adobe Acrobat 6.0.

Acrobat 6.0 was known for just this kind of problem. Happily, Adobe saw the shortcomings and all is smooth in version 7. I threw my version 6 CD out of the window. Upgrade to 7.0 - you will be pleased.

Download a free application called 'CutePDF'. When you install it, it becomes a plotter visible in Autocad. Instead of plotting to file or printer or plotter, select the CutePDF driver. Be certain to use your standard .CTB files when plotting - your lineweights will appear the same in the PDF as in your plot. I have Adobe writer, but still prefer CutePDF, as it is faster.