Pads for Moulder Pressure Shoes

Felt pads can prevent shine marks on your mouldings. Details here. July 3, 2008

Question
We use a Weinig P1000 to machine a number of different moulding profiles and door rails for cabinet doors and trim carpentry. A problem has been the shoe leaving burnish lines on the moulding. We've tried steel, wood, and UHMF plastic shoes, all with varying degrees of success. We recently have begun experimenting with applying 1/2" felt to our wood shoes. Has anyone else tried this? Does the felt compress to individual profiles, and if so does it regain its shape after switching to a different profile?

Felt is the answer as its been used for many years on moulders. I would use 1/8 felt and stick it to the pressure shoe with adhesive. Most important is the design of the mouldings when it was first thought up. Sometimes there is no way around holding down on a bead but a lot of time poor design leads to these issues of burnish marks.

Is there a particular type of adhesive that you would recommend? Also, since the felt pad is so thin, are you using a reverse profiled shoe?

Contact cement works, spray adhesive works as well as double stick tape. I use a variety of pressure shoes, the metal one it comes with, and custom wooden ones. Reverse profiles on the angled profiles. Most of the time I just pick two spots on the moulding that are flat and have a two step pressure shoe hold down on the flats if possible. Feel free to contact me if you need more information.

What about blue nylon? The auto-template or template router system, or whatever it’s called, makes reverse profile shoes from that. I've been investigating the material, as I already have a CNC to cut it, and the nylon appears to have some sort of oil impregnated in it. I don't see why it couldn't be used in place of UHMW square or profiled, as I believe its slicker and might help the burnishing.

I use felt now, and I'm not really all that thrilled with it. 5/16's epoxy’d to drilled and tapped aluminum backer to attach to the steel finger(s) of the pressure. The felt tends to tear up and "peel" after a few thousand feet, and I think it’s kind of a PITA to profile by hand. Of course, I think anything by hand is a PITA anymore!

I've also heard of something called the "Infinity Fence" that I guess is a row of fingers that automatically move to match the profile. I've never seen a picture or info, or found a website for it, just a quoted $3000+/- price tag that scared me away.

There are many things that would work to eliminate shine marks. Felt has been used for years, it is easy to obtain, doesn't need any special machining, cost is very inexpensive. I guess I am just a little old fashion when it comes to types of hold downs and what to put on them. Being a cabinetmaker by trade I have always custom made my pressure shoes out of wood and laminate and felt when needed. They are effective, inexpensive, and easy to make in about an hour or less.

Your idea is certainly being used by many in the industry and it works well. Like I said I guess I am still a little old fashion and like to use my skills to make my own pressure shoes. Some of my custom pressure shoes are still being used today, six years since I have run production on moulders. Your idea is a very good one.

I have had problems with shine marks on blue nylon. I have never had a problem with shine using felt. One thing I will say is that felt can lead to some chatter because it is not as solid of a hold down element. Also, if you do not keep your pieces butt to butt as they are going through the machine you could rip the felt right off the shoe and be looking at a time consuming repair.