Peg-Hole and Dowel Drawer Bottoms

Ideas for how to detail this popular new feature: holes for movable vertical pegs in drawers, used to organize plates and such. February 20, 2008

I am building some drawers for a customer that have 32mm holes in the bottom for pegs that are adjustable for stacking plates in to prevent them from moving. This is a new feature that ladies seem to love for their cabinets. I used my line borer to drill 5mm holes in a grid 32mm apart for the pegs which will be 1" wood dowels with a 5mm steel pin inserted in the dowel. My problem is I don't know where to get 5mm pins for the dowels that are at least 2" long or longer that I can cut to length. Anyone know of a good source?

This isn't going to work as I understand it. You are drilling a 5mm pattern in your drawer bottom, and my guess is it's 1/2" to 3/4" thick? You are planning to put the pin into the dowel and stick that into the 5mm hole? Save the headache and use a conformat screw through the drawer bottom into the dowel. You can get comformat screws that will go through your 5mm hole into a 4mm pilot hole in the dowel. If you still want a 5mm pin, use a sex bolt sleeve. Recess that into your dowel and you won't have to cut anything.

Or better yet, just order the stuff that Hafele sells. It's on page 996. It has a threaded stud and a lock nut that goes on the bottom. They also sell the drawer bottoms pre-bored.

I have built a couple of these before using 1/4" holes (hand drilled) and dowels, but the thought of drilling hundreds of holes in 6 drawers did not appeal to me. That's why I opted for the 5mm holes with my line borer.