"Pickwick" Beadboard Cutterhead Info

      How to find router or shaper knives to make the decorative "Pickwick" pattern on the tongue side of wood paneling. June 23, 2006

How do you make Pickwick style paneling, or where can I buy the router or shaper bit?

Forum Responses
(Architectural Woodworking Forum)
From contributor B:
Isn't Pickwick nothing more then tongue and groove with about a 1" scoop out on the face of the tongue edge? If that is the case, you should be able to find a stock cutter from most manufacturers. Look at raised panel cutters... there should be a similar one in that category.

From contributor C:
Pickwick (aka beadboard) cutters are available in router bits, cutters for tablesaws and also cutterheads for shapers or moulders. Since the pickwick bead commonly is in the center of the board, we (Wood Tech Tooling) have a lot of people running this on a Magic Molder type cutterhead that runs on a table saw, if they don't have a moulder. The rest of the tongue and groove can be run on a router, shaper or molder depending upon the amount of footage needed. Bits and shaper cutters are very common.

From contributor R:
Please pardon this correction, but beadboard is not the same as pickwick. Pickwick is as contributor B stated, about a 1" wide cove between 2 small beads all profiled on the face at the tongue edge of a 1x6 or 1x8. Very common the early half of the 20th century. This would mill easily on a shaper. Mill this profile first, then cut the tongue and groove second.

From contributor S:
Just came across a Pickwick knife in this Schmidt catalogue on page 22.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Custom Millwork

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article