Pocket Hole Joinery for Face Frames

Tips on using pocket hole screws to assemble and attach face frames. October 22, 2005

Question
I thought I would try using pocket screws to attach my face frames. This works well, except I have to be careful not to let the points come through. Do you use 1 1/4 or 1 inch screws here? I thought the 1 1/4 would work. Face frames are a full 3/4 and Im using a Kreg jig. Should I be using the 1 inch screws?

1 1/4" screws should work. Adjust the stop collar on your bit so that the pocket isn't so deep.

If you are using the Kreg machine for pocket holes they should have giving you a jig to set the stop collar on the bit. 1 1/2" screws are used for stock that is 1" thick or more being applied to stock that is 1" thick or more. 1 1/4" screws are for 3/4" stock to 3/4" stock. And 1" screws are for 1/2" stock to 3/4" or 1/2" stock. If your face frames are 3/4" thick and your boxes are 3/4" thick you can use a 1 1/4" screw. But if you are dadoing a 1/4" groove in the back sides of your face frames and then applying them to the boxes you need to use 1" screws or you will poke through.

For 3/4 to 3/4 applications the stop collar on the bit needs to be 3 1/2 inches back from end of the 3/8 bit. Check and make sure you've got whichever jig you're using set up right too.

The choice of screw is important in this case. I have noticed the larger the head, the longer the screw you can use. I also consider the material. If I am using plywood, I would consider going with the 1", but in hardwood, use the 1 1/4 screw.

You don't have to do anything with the holes on the face frame, they are hidden. Unless you stick your head in the cabinet and turn around you will never see them. As for the holes on the carcass of the cabinet they won't be seen either because they will be sandwiched in between the cabinets when they are put together. If its an end cabinet just apply your finished panel over it and your done.

Comment from contributor N:
I've been using 1.75" screws on .75" stock with no problems. I would suggest that you adjust the stop collar and experiment on scrap material so that the tip of the screw does not protrude it makes for a very tight joint.