Press-On Wall Panel Fasteners

A woodwork installer needs zero-clearance fasteners for a tricky panel attachment problem. Suggestions include velcro, magnets, and inverted Z-clips. November 10, 2005

Question
We are fastening some 3/4" veneer panels to drywall and need a zero clearance fastener. I remember seeing one at a woodworking show which worked with a 35mm hole drilled into the back of the panel. Once inserted and the mate mounted on the wall, you were able to push it on to fastener, unlike z-clips and such fasteners. We must scribe our panels to the ceiling in this instance, which does not allow them to be lifted up and dropped onto z-clips. I believe the name of the clips I am looking for was "Troxi" by Knape Products (not Knape & Vogt). Has anyone heard of these, or a better idea for fastening? We really do not want to consider panel adhesive and kickers due to the fast track nature of the project.

You could recess regular panel clips into the panels, unless you don't have room to lift them over the wall pieces.

Thanks, but we are scribing to the ceiling, so there is no way to lift up higher and drop down.

This might be a stretch, but how about using the large Rare Earth magnets from Lee Valley? When used with the optional steel cups, they are quite strong.

Thanks for the idea. Our installers use Rare Earth magnets to locate studs - a great trick for all those that might also be reading this - you will never miss a nail. It just might work - I will have to see how cost effective it would be.

Here is another goofy idea. We use Velcro quite often for strange situations. But for all the screwing around, seems like Liquid Nails would be the way to go.

S-Klick screw-on fasteners from Richelieu could do the job.

We have done it this way. Reverse the z-clip so it's upside down. Push the panel up into the clip and glue and screw a cleat at the bottom of the panel to hold it there. This assumes that you can cover the cleat with your base.

Great ideas, everyone. The clips would produce a zero clearance application, which is perfect for what we need. I hoped there was something out there like this, but for all my internet searching, just couldn't locate it. We will probably use this method. The reverse z-clip idea is also a good one and with a little design modification to the owner's stone base, we could probably make it work. Additionally, the Velcro - industrial strength - could work also. I have used some that it is impossible to separate unless you get a strategic grip on the product.