Preventing Blue Stain on Maple

Prompt drying is the best way to forestall blue stain formation on maple. August 29, 2006

Question
I am cutting both hard and soft maple and would like to know what to look for as far as blue stain is concerned, and when it is not worth sawing any more due to the staining. I know it's the heat that is the problem but when should I stop cutting?

From Gene Wengert, technical advisor Sawing and Drying Forum:
If the logs are fresh and the lumber is stacked for drying and has good air flow, etc., there is no need to stop.

I don't know about blue stain, but sticker shadow has been a problem sometimes. I make my own stickers with a cross section similar to an "h" beam, but sometimes have shadow anyway, especially deep in the stack. Air flow is good at my site. I have had success with stickering temporarily for about 3 days and then re-stacking with different sticker location, but this is a lot of board shuffling. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Amish sawyers in my area told me that the air temperature at night is the best indicator of when to stop sawing maple. If it's more than 60 degrees at night, maple (and other white woods) will stain.

There are many mills that cut year round, but they will not store logs for many days and will stack the lumber within hours after sawing in warm weather, and will then get the lumber drying promptly and rapidly.