Preventing Sticker Stain

Stickers should be kiln-dry, and quickly pre-drying boards on end can help. August 31, 2005

Question
Does anyone out there know if cherry or red oak will develop sticker stain from using 3/4" stickers sawn from the same logs as the lumber? We plan on air-drying through the summer and then kiln-drying during the winter. Any help is appreciated.

Stickers can be made from just about any hardwood, but the stickers should be properly kiln-dried first. There are companies as Breeze-dried that sell kiln-dried profiled stickers that work quite well at reducing sticker stain because they have less surface contact. I use them especially for yellow poplar, but use regular dried stickers for everything else.

I air dry all my lumber using 3/4" stickers, but I wouldn't use wet fresh sawn ones on anything. Mold will start almost as soon as it's stacked, and will probably go so deep that it can't plane it out.

You might want to consider using pvc pipe cut in half. It increases air flow because of the groove, and less surface contact. Also it lasts a long time.

To contributor G: What size pvc do you rip down?

I used 1 1/2 inch pvc. I made a jig to run it through my tablesaw. That was a board clamped on opposite the fence.

Split pvc is ok for small loads, but for higher loads (with many layers), you will easily get indentation. In general, pvc pipe is not suggested, except for a few special cases.

The original questioner said, "We plan on air drying through the summer and then kiln drying during the winter." I think that is backwards. I would suggest kiln-drying in the summer because mould grows fast in the summer heat and humidity. A stack will sticker stain in less than a week in summer.

I have a stand up shed where I stand freshly sawn boards on end that are held in slots at the top for the purpose of pre-drying the lumber before stickering it. I never have a problem with sticker staining. I usually leave the wood in the pre-drying shed for about two weeks before stacking. Wood will not warp until the moisture content gets below about 35% unless the wood came from a bad place, and that kind of wood will warp no matter what is done with it.