Problems getting consistent thickness -- during rough milling

Fixing a bandmill that cuts boards at inconsistent thicknesses. September 6, 2000

I've had a Wood Mizer LT30 for almost two years now. I have a new problem that I've been struggling with recently: I'm getting thin lumber on my first cuts, leaving a thick board after the last cut. This is only happening on the first three feet of the cant/boards. It evens out to the correct size for the rest of the length. I've adjusted bed rails, guides, etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same thing last year and after several calls to WoodMizer I changed the bearings in the guide rollers, even though they did not feel bad. That took care of it for me. Talk to the people at WoodMizer, they are very helpful.

Take a look under the cant before you saw through it and see if it is sitting flat on the bed. Sometimes when you have spring wood the stress bows the cant upward, and as you start to cut down the cant the stress is relieved, explaining why your boards might be thin at the start of the cut, but O.K. at the end.

Thanks for all suggestions. I found the problem (finally), it was something I had already checked but just hadn't caught: The lead angle of the blade.

I had called WoodMizer, and all their suggestions were good, but I had already done everything they suggested. The mill was spoiled; I'd had it stationary for two months with no problems. As soon as I moved it the problem started. That is why I thought it had to do with alignment, not the blade.

Again, thanks for the help. This forum is great.