Pronouncing Exotic Wood Names

Does "Wenge" rhyme with "Ben-Gay"? Well, that depends on who you ask. November 23, 2012

There's a bunch of woods that I have a hard time pronouncing. How do you say sapele, mackore, wenge, jatoba?

It gets hard because different people pronounce them differently. For instance I'm still trying to figure out the correct pronunciation for padauk. Some guys say pa-dook, and some paddock. I think sapele is sap-elly, and wenge is usually wen-gay, mackore is mack-ory... At least around here.

I looked up padauk at one point and found "puh-DOWK" on the internet, so it must be true. In the Northwest, we say suh-PEE-lee, MACK-o-ray (some say the more Africany-sounding mah-KO-ray), ma-DRONE-uh, WEN-gay, and ja-TOE-buh.

Thanks for the advice. I just did a job with sapele veneer and insisted that it was pronounced SA-PAY-LAY. I didn't want to look like a fool so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh! What about anegre, bircote, lignum vitae, osage orange?

-s-g, as in stage. Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage-orange, hedge-apple, horse-apple, Bois D'Arc, bodark (bow wood).

This is why I pretty much stick to birch and oak with the occasional bit of jelutong (Dyera costulata) thrown in. ;-)