Pros and Cons of Used Edgebanders

It might cost more to get a used edgebander up and running than to purchase it. But even at that, the results could be well worth it. October 19, 2014

I have an edgebander available to me for around 2k (1995 Brandt). The seller says it has a new motor and a newer glue pot assembly and it works. The scraping station isn't dialed in. This is my first edgebander purchase. How bad can I get hurt on this deal?

I made a similar purchase three years ago (our was an older Holzer). I say go for it. You very likely may spend a good amount of money to keep it running at bare minimum: the initial hook up, moving and installation. Then there are tech fees and broken parts. Iíve probably spent $7,000 in addition, but we did a heck of a lot of work with it. We ended up tossing it in the trash and bought a reliable, newer Brandt that we can now afford thanks to that old one.

Definitely get some training on it. 2k on it would not be bad. There a lot of parts that can be bought from others than Stiles on that age.

So one that's a 1995 is pretty easy to get parts for?

If you have a machine tech close by I would ask him. I just bought a little dinky edgebander for 4k used (Safety Speed Cut 72 with glue pt) as I am a one man shop. I had the chance to buy a Brandt 1500 for 3k and another Brandt (I forget which model for 2k). I bought the one I have due to the lesser footprint.

I would find a technician who works on Brandt banders and have him look it over so he can give you an idea what it would take to put it in good operational condition and help you get it running once you have it installed.

From Contributor W:
Agreed on getting a Stiles tech to check it out and let you know what it needs. At $2k it will need something. But, if you pay $2k for it and sink another $4k to get it dialed in, that's only $6k to have a high quality updated bander which is still a good deal.

Run away from it. Parts are no longer really made for it and if they are. They would be way over-priced.

From Contributor M:
I bought a 1996 Kd54 Brandt edgebander eight years ago for $1600. It was sitting outside under a tarp and not working. It cost me $300 for an electrician to wire it up. The glue pot motor was wired to the wrong voltage, that was why it didn't work. It is used every day for eight years now and the only problem I have had was to put a re-built glue pot in it ($5000) ordeal. I don't think $6900 over eight years is too bad considering a new one is $40 grand plus. I think I was pretty lucky with this machine. If you have run a similar machine and have a good mechanical aptitude I would say go for it. If not I would steer clear and look for something newer.

Make sure you get one with an incense burner. Periodically that machine is going to run just perfectly the day before then no matter what button you push the trimmers will either not cut enough or cut too deep. It helps also to have chicken bones handy that you can throw over your left shoulder while you mumble an incantation as you switch on the pre-heater.

We bought a new Biesse bander ten years ago and short of bearings going out in the pot and drive train, it just runs. I agree if you have a mechanical aptitude a lot can be figured out. A lot of the machinery has been designed with good components, but most of the problems come with untrained operators and poor maintenance.

Thanks for all the great responses. I talked with the seller a little more and I'm going to go for it. I think the biggest potential for failure of this endeavor will be my lack of incense and chicken bones.

From Contributor N:
I bought a similar older one and have been thrilled with it. Granted it is complicated, and I had to adjust everything. Good learning experience if you're into that. Now it is a very well built Italian machine that will probably outlast me with excellent results.

I would say that if the motor is new and the glue pot is new or rebuilt, for $2k you can't go wrong. A hot air bander is more than that. I currently have a Brandt and I love it, never a problem. There were a ton of those banders around so parts should be easy to come by.