Radius Corners for a Work-Surface Cabinet Top

The example shown could be done with T-mould, thick edgebanding, or a thermoformed panel material. June 10, 2006

Question
Can anyone direct me toward a product or technique that will allow me to create the nice radial corners shown below? The laminate material appears to be of a thickness that allows a large radius on the horizontal edge as well.

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
You should be able to round your corners using a straight bearing bit on a hand router, with a template. Simply clamp your piece to the template, and cut the corner while following the template with the bearing.

Thanks, but my question is directed toward the laminate material that will allow such a corner and not show the typical color-line at the joint.

What you are looking at is T-mould, which is available from Charter Industries, SFR, Outwater, and many other suppliers. After your top is laminated, run a slotter around the edge. There is a barb on the inside of the T-mould that you drive into the slot with an air hammer or a mallet.

I would suggest using a color core or soli-core laminate. The color goes all the way through.

It's hard to tell, but it is also possible that this part is edgebanded with a 2 or 3mm edgeband, or it may be thermoformed vinyl off of a membrane press.

We produce thousands of worksurfaces each year, and this could be one of ours. The edge is T-mould. Color-through laminate is brittle and will not make the radius, even if heated. If this top used a thermoformed membrane, the edge would be the same color as the deck. If the edge were 3mm edgeband, it would be twice the cost of T-mould. The only reason to use 3mm edgeband is if you corners without a radius.

The edge looks the same color as the surface to me. We do hundreds of surfaces with radius 2mm edgeband that is a custom match to our board laminate. Our customers prefer the seam over t-mold. I would agree that t-mold is easier to do though.

Try using a hair dryer or heat gun (not too close) to warm up the laminate. It will bend around some pretty tight radii. Make a sample run on a radius smaller than the one you plan to cover. This will let you know if it will work for you.