Re-Roughening Power Feeder Tires

Aftermarket replacement tires give the best grip. But here are tips for sanding old tires to improve their surface friction. December 27, 2008

My three wheeled Delta feeder needs to get its grip back. Will roughening the surface of the wheels with sandpaper work?

This is probably a violation of every safety code known to man, but I take a rag with lacquer thinner and liberally wet the wheels with it running on it's slowest setting. Then I take a 60 grit sandpaper roll and give them a good once over. This will usually get me going again for a while. Obviously you need to be careful where your fingers are with this method. Eventually, though, I know I'll need to get urethane tires and get it over with.

Glue a piece of 60 grit paper to a piece of plywood (spray adhesive Super 77 works well). Clamp it to the shaper table. Gently lower the power feed until it starts to cut the tires. You don't usually have to take much off, just removing the glaze. Likewise, be awake when doing this operation.

There are several manufacturers that make replacement tires. A smallish investment now can avoid problems in the long haul and might even prevent flying wood.

Also make sure your table saw is properly waxed to reduce friction. Make sure to use a wax that won't cause contamination on the wood, which could cause problems when finishing.

Buy a set of urethane tires - they hold much better. A feed that loses its grip can be a safety hazard!

Call Western Roller. We throw out tires on new feeders. The difference is day and night.

Ever wonder why new feeders come with junk tires? We've used Axium Ind. in Oregon for a long time. They can recover about any wheel.

Do as contributor A does or like we do. Take the tires off the feeder, quickly sand on an edgesander or with a belt sander, replace tires. Less than 10 minutes and tires are at least as good as new. I did buy urethane tires for one of my feeders because the original ones were shot. They work great, but so do the newly sanded tires for a lot less investment.