Rebuilding Cordless-Tool Batteries

The cells in a cordless tool battery pack can be replaced with aftermarket versions. But is it worth doing? May 22, 2007

Question
I have a few Dewalt xrp batteries that either won't hold or take a charge. Wondering if anyone has tried resurrecting one?

I had the folks over at PrimeCell rebuild one for me. It worked so well I sent them all the others I had in the shop. More power, longer run time, same charger. They have a website (primecell.com) that lists prices and such. Give it a look.

If you don't mind working with a soldering iron, look on EBay. They have an online store that sells the cells to make a battery. The ones I looked at for Dewalt were about $24 for 16 or 18 cells.

Do you remember how you found that site? I have done a bunch of searching on EBay and there are hundreds of auctions for batteries and related items, but haven't been able to find one specifically for Dewalts.

The seller was called All-battery Direct.

Check your phonebook or the net for Batteries Plus - they are a chain that does rebuilds. They did all of my DW stuff and were very good and reasonable - I think it was about 35 bucks for a 14.4, and they upped the amp hours about double.

I bought some inexpensive 18v batteries for an import tool, took them apart and resoldered the cells into the housing on my Milwaukee 12v system. A couple of things would keep me from doing this again. First, the quality of the cells. They didn't last more then about 6 months before losing charge capacity. Since a new battery usually gives me 2 to 3 years of service, this was totally inadequate. Second, soldering on the cell housing is very difficult. I even purchased a high output 1/2" tip soldering iron, which helped, but still yielded inconsistent results. Further, I'd be leery of cells purchased online unless they were from a very reputable dealer. There are a lot of low quality cells available and it's easy to be sucked into purchasing ones that will not last.

In Atlanta I talked to a company called TopCell. They sell aftermarket batteries. They are new but seem to be less expensive than original. The website is namerep.com. It's not a rebuild, but it is an alternative.

I too stopped at TopCell. When I got home I went to their website to check out pricing. 1.4 amp hour batteries for my 12v Milwaukee drills were $8 less ($46 as versus $54) than the Milwaukee brand from McMaster Carr industrial supply. They were .1 amp hours stronger, though. I decided it wasn't worth the small savings to not have a known brand... even with the slight increase in amp hours.