Recommendations for Fans for a Kiln

Advice on finding the right fan for the given kiln conditions (attic or greenhouse fans may not handle the required high temperatures). October 26, 2011

Iím looking for recommendations on fans (brand names) suitable for high temps, high moisture, continuous duty, and preferably 16" to 24", 3 phase powered, high efficiency, reversible, and variable speed for a kiln. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do a search for green house fans. They are for high temps.

Are you going to put the motors inside the kiln? If so, you need a class "H" motor. Kiln companies, such as Nyle, sell fans and motors. Why reinvent something or get the wrong item? Note that greenhouses for plants do not get anywhere close to the temperatures we have in a kiln (150 F) or even hotter. Many folks put the fans inside and the run a shaft to an outside motor. Some motors are directly connected; others use fan belts so that one motor can run two fans.

Thanks Gene. Yes motors will be inside, as typically seen installed in a truss wall/divider. I've looked at on site catalog for Nyle, didn't see any specs, brand names, or any fans so I requested more info online from them. I have no intention of reinventing, would just like to find what there is to choose from that is appropriate for kiln conditions. It will be interesting to see what type of fans Nyle systems typically use.

Right, wrong, or otherwise I used a bank of attic fans for our insulated trailer turned kiln. They seem to be holding up great. I turn the temp down on them so they come on at 70 and I have one that discharges out through a louvered vent set at 130 to prevent overheating of the Nyle unit.

Here are a couple of pictures of our setup. I have them switched in groups of two so if we need to partition of for smaller loads.

Please note that the original request was for fans at high temperatures, which usually implies over 160 F and over 220 F in the southern pine drying. Also note he asked for 3-phase (which means a smaller physical size motor compared to single phase) and reversing.