Registering a Sawmill for Highway Use

      sawmilllers share experiences from different states. June 22, 2005

I am looking to register a portable sawmill for over the road use. I'm in Pennsylvania and the DOT wants a vin or a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, plus a special inspection, and 40 pages of forms. I can get all of that, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to do it? What does everyone else who pulls mills around do?

Forum Responses
(Sawing and Drying Forum)
From contributor B:
Here in Virginia, I went to the DMV and requested a registration form and license. I was issued a vin number and after it was installed, I had a deputy inspect it to verify that it was installed properly. I then got the license plate and registration. Itís around $100 for lifetime registration. Even if itís not required, it would still help establish ownership in event of theft.

From contributor T:
In North Carolina, if the trailer item has an engine on it, i.e. a sawmill, air compressor, welder, etc., you don't have to license it.

From contributor C:
Iím in Pennsylvania also, and no registration is required. The mill is considered Agricultural equipment. If you lay a board on it to transport, you've made a trailer of it and it must be registered. The only extras on my mill are reflectors, to keep from getting rear ended.

From contributor A:
Here in Arkansas there are two classes. One is Ag, and the other is Commercial. You can run under either one. Ag does not require a tag, but Commercial does.

From contributor A:
Also here in Arkansas, if you have a trailer behind your truck and it is for commercial purpose, then the truck insurance does not have to cover it. A guy I know is a fishing guide on a river and his boat was in a wreck and destroyed. Because he was a guide, his insurance would not cover it behind his personal truck. I now have commercial tags on my truck and insurance for the mill.

From contributor T:
In Vermont, my mill is registered as a trailer. I had to get a statement from the fabricator in New York who builds the mills at his home. The DMV wanted the value of the trailer package, and we have a stick on tag for the vehicle identification number. Itís $15 a year and thereís no police hassle. I would imagine your DMV has a fax number for the information to go directly to them.

From contributor K:
I'm in Pennsylvania and I have a Timberking. To make it transportable like any other trailer, it had to be registered with a tag. I bought the mill used, and I had to go to Timberking for a copy of the certificate of origin. With this I was able to register it. I now have a title and a license plate for it.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Business

  • KnowledgeBase: Business: Legal

  • KnowledgeBase: Primary Processing

  • KnowledgeBase: Primary Processing: Sawmilling

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2019 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article