Registering a Sawmill for Highway Use

sawmilllers share experiences from different states. June 22, 2005

Question
I am looking to register a portable sawmill for over the road use. I'm in Pennsylvania and the DOT wants a vin or a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, plus a special inspection, and 40 pages of forms. I can get all of that, but I'm wondering if there are other ways to do it? What does everyone else who pulls mills around do?

Here in Virginia, I went to the DMV and requested a registration form and license. I was issued a vin number and after it was installed, I had a deputy inspect it to verify that it was installed properly. I then got the license plate and registration. Itís around $100 for lifetime registration. Even if itís not required, it would still help establish ownership in event of theft.

In North Carolina, if the trailer item has an engine on it, i.e. a sawmill, air compressor, welder, etc., you don't have to license it.

Iím in Pennsylvania also, and no registration is required. The mill is considered Agricultural equipment. If you lay a board on it to transport, you've made a trailer of it and it must be registered. The only extras on my mill are reflectors, to keep from getting rear ended.

Here in Arkansas there are two classes. One is Ag, and the other is Commercial. You can run under either one. Ag does not require a tag, but Commercial does.

Also here in Arkansas, if you have a trailer behind your truck and it is for commercial purpose, then the truck insurance does not have to cover it. A guy I know is a fishing guide on a river and his boat was in a wreck and destroyed. Because he was a guide, his insurance would not cover it behind his personal truck. I now have commercial tags on my truck and insurance for the mill.

In Vermont, my mill is registered as a trailer. I had to get a statement from the fabricator in New York who builds the mills at his home. The DMV wanted the value of the trailer package, and we have a stick on tag for the vehicle identification number. Itís $15 a year and thereís no police hassle. I would imagine your DMV has a fax number for the information to go directly to them.

I'm in Pennsylvania and I have a Timberking. To make it transportable like any other trailer, it had to be registered with a tag. I bought the mill used, and I had to go to Timberking for a copy of the certificate of origin. With this I was able to register it. I now have a title and a license plate for it.