Remote Switching for a Dust Collection System

Advice on how to retrofit a remote control switch to a dust control setup. August 12, 2014

Question
Does anyone have their dust collector on a remote switch? I would like to put one on mine, but it has a magnetic switch and I'm not sure if they will operate on a remote. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion?

We use an Oneida remote.

I have a Shop Fox remote wired to the magnetic coil of a 15 HP motor starter. The contactor stays closed as long as it sees the correct voltage (115 or 230). So you need to know the voltage that your switch is using and buy the right remote. If you are not sure how to proceed, find an electrician. They can do it in 15 minutes.

I had an electrician put in what I believe is called a pico receiver. The actual pico remote is very small and costs around $5 each. I have several of the remotes stuck to machines with Velcro tape. It works flawlessly at even at 50'.

Contributor U - I was considering the same thing. One thing that concerned me was that by using an external remote you might be overriding the overload feature of the starter. I don't fully understand how the starter trips on overload so I am not sure. I know the heaters overload and it trips the devise. I assume when that happens power to the transformer that holds the contactor is broken. If you hold the contactor closed with external power from an unrelated remote will it trip?

My dust collector is around 40 years old its large and sits outside. The pico receiver with remotes seems to work fine. It took about an hour for the electrician to install.

Contributor B - it does defeat the heater overload, so you would need to fuse it.

All the remote starter does is send power to the motor contact to pull it in. The overload circuit, generally a heater type or bi metal strip within the motor contactor, will act independently of the motor start contactor coil. When overload condition exists the heat generated will break the circuit even though the contact coil is still closed by the remote.

If the circuit is three phase the remote switch is wired in parallel with the start switch and supplies power to the contactor coil to pull it in. The three phase contactor has integral heaters that will trip in an overload condition. In single phase you would install a remote starter switch between the power outlet and equipment start switch and set the equipment switch to on/run. Any installed motor protection on the equipment will work as normal.