Remotely Readable Moisture Probes for Wood Drying

Probes you can read without going inside the drying kiln are not a lot of help with the most problematic drying-related defects. March 16, 2015

Question
What kind of moisture reader with probes can I get to avoid going inside the kiln, without spending a bunch of money?

I just got a Lignomat mini-Ligno DX/c with the three sets of Probes and 12 feet of wire and have no problem with it.

Delmhorst has had such a system for at least 25 years. They use probes that are inserted at two different depths. As the resistance method of measuring MC above 30% MC is not too accurate, and as most defects, like checking, occur at high MCís where the meters do not work well, these remote probe systems are not too useful for high MC lumber, which is where the MC readings are most critical. The remote technique does a good job near the end of the run, estimating final MC, but many people require more precise final MC values than the meters can provide.

From Contributor R:
I like to enter my kilns every day. Looking and checking can save large amounts of money on wrecked lumber.