Removing Glue Film from Laminate

Wiping off glue squeeze-out has dulled the sheen on some laminate tops. Here are suggested remedies. February 25, 2009

Question
We recently made some tables that have a laminate glued onto particle board and a wood edge glued onto that. We used edge clamps and Titebond yellow wood glue. We used a very wet rag (water) to wipe off the excess glue from the laminate. We now have about 15 tops with a hazy film about 3-4 inches wide around the edge of the tops. We have used lacquer thinner, toluol, goo-gone, MEK, and Acetone to try and remove the film. Nothing seems to work. I'm not talking a heavy film just enough to notice if the light hits it right. Our customer just won't let it go. Is there anything out there I could try? Thanks for the help.

With all that solvent what you have done is alter the factory finish. Try this - wipe the entire top with alcohol and get some counter magic or similar polish and wipe them down.

Wow, I would have thought the thinner would do the trick. I know exactly what you’re talking about. I know I'll probably get flak for this response, but how about doing the opposite. Try to (on a small area or some scrap first) wipe the entire counter with "counter top magic" or some other type of "waxy" spray maybe this will even out the haze.

Before you try any more solvents and polishes, try taking a Scotchbrite pad and buffing out the glue film.

How about hot soap or detergent and water?

Vinegar works I think.

PVA or Aliphatic Resin glues can be removed with a small amount of NaOH or Lye in water - 20 grams per gallon should do the trick. Longer polymers like the resin in laminate can be affected if left on for a long time. Wood glue should wipe right off. Use safety glasses with side shields and long nitrile gloves as this solution will turn skin to a gelatin like goo. It also will dissolve cat laquer and varnish so don't get it on wood. It’s not a bad waterbased stripper either although it darkens the wood just like very old patina.

Take damp rags and lay over the filmy areas. This will hold moisture to glue film for a longer period of time than simply wetting it. After some soak time you should be able to start cleaning with warm wet soapy rags (rinsing them often to minimize more film).