Removing the Glue Pot from an Edgebander

Photos and description of getting a gunked-up old glue pot loose from a Brandt KD 54 edgebander. December 2, 2011

Question
I'm in the process of removing the glue pot on a KD 54 and can't figure out where to disconnect the unit. I have the strip feeder removed and the electrical connections to the heating element underneath the pot. Not sure whether it disconnects on top by the pot or underneath above the motor. Any advice would help.

I replaced the glue pot on our KD55 so I am not sure if they are exactly the same. Is there any play in the pot or is still sitting in place? When I replaced ours I had to remove the front cover on the machine and disconnect the glue pot from the drive train, then loosen one more bolt. I can't remember now but I think I had to turn on the machine to pre-heat to get the pot loose.

The pot itself does pivot so it can be set back from the piece being fed, not sure if thatís what you mean. The glue application roller is loaded with glue and doesn't spin until it gets hot enough. I think I want to disconnect the pot from the drive train.

Here's a photo from underneath.

What I did was drop all that down underneath and cleaned it. There are some set screws on the orange coupling you have to take loose and finally you will have to apply heat to the pot to get it loose. Take a torch and heat that glue up and scrape it all off - mine was five times worse. If you let the machine run with the pot engaged and don't run panel this is what happens fortunately I got a manual with mine.

Do you see that bolt covered with glue? There is another one in behind and I think there is another bolt up on top of that bracket that is all covered in glue. You have to clean all the old glue off. Then you go up to the top and start cleaning the glue out of the tank looking for screws. There is a bearing assembly under the pot that you have to disassemble and replace the bearings.

Thanks Contributor W. I figured it out soon after my original post. There is an allen bolt above the belt that is accessed through the steel frame. I removed that bolt and then used a heat gun to loosen the glue at the bottom of the pot. Once the glue was soft I turned the pot from side to side and then lifted it up. Here's a photo of the access hole.