Repainting Installed Cabinets on Site

How do you handle painting the cabinet frames on site when you're spraying the doors in the shop? August 27, 2012

Question
I need to paint some older cabinets that are still in place and put new doors on. I use ML Campbell paint for the new doors. What paint can I use for the cabinets? I canít use my spray equipment on location.

If your cabinets are solid but dated and dark, a fresh coat of paint can go a long way toward transforming the space without much affecting you pocket. You can hire an expert to spray-paint them if you don't want to do yourself.

I am cabinetmaker and since I canít spray in the house I don't know how to paint the cases and faceframes to match what I spray in the shop.

Why can't you spray on-site? Do you plan on using a brush? If thatís the case, then brush the doors as well. If you spray one and brush the other, they won't look the same, even if you use the same product.

I can't have the overspay in the house. The doors are to be painted and glazed. I can't re-face and add end panels. I have in the past used a Sherwin Williams paint for the ff and end panels that matched my ML Campbell paint but ages differently. Just wondering if anyone else has done this type of job?

It is what is if you can't spray on site. Why can't you paper/plastic everything and tunnel out to a window and exhaust your overspray? I've sprayed in some super expensive houses with lots of valuable art/antiques etc. and made it work. Lots of prep but worth it. On the other hand you could roll your finish and use a super fine artistís 3" brush to stroke it out for the best possible hand finish.

Retard your finish if you have to allow the brush strokes to flatten out as much as possible. It won't be a mirror flat finish but if it's just FF's and some end panels, who'll really notice? Use at least a satin sheen and if you can go to a flat sheen to minimize the brush strokes.

I do this all the time. I use MLC waterborne and brush the boxes. I do add some wb extender/glaze to slow it down and also some water to thin it so it flows better. Usually I do spray the kitchen but when I have vanities I brush the boxes since the time it takes to set to spray in a bathroom is ten times what it takes to brush.