Repairing Blush on a Table Top

Hot pizza made a blush spot when the heat drove moisture into a table finish. Here's how to fix it. May 7, 2007

Question
I've got a factory made dining table that has a spot on it made by a hot pizza box. The damage is a whitish blush spot and Im not sure of the finish type. Does anybody have a quick one size fits all trick for an easy repair? Just thought Id throw it out there before doing a total refinish.

If it has just happened recently let it set for a few weeks - it may fade out. Its moisture trapped in the finish by the heat.

I would suggest trying this; get yourself a spray can of "no-blush" from Mohawk and spray a few light coats on the spot. Then they have industrial super strength stuff and its called "super blush retarder" that you may want to use as well.

Yeah I tried the wait it out method and after 5 months (wanted to make sure) there were no change. So whats the deal with the Mohawk stuff - is it also finish? Or is it a wipe off type product?

What you need is heat! Rubbing the spot with a clean cotton cloth creates heat, and this will release the moisture within. A quick way is with a hair drier at a distance and rubbing down gently.

The finish is probably lacquer. Did you check the archives? You'll need to re-melt or re-dissolve the finish in the spot to erase the heat/moisture damage. Mohawk's No Blush and Behlen's Blush Eraser are solvent blends that will temporarily re-dissolve the finish, releasing the moisture.

Lacquer is thermal plastic - it will melt if heated - so heat will do the job too: just go slow and I wouldnt rub it until it's cooled. One guy I know likes to pour some denatured alcohol on the spot and light it on fire - never dared to try that myself. One other technique is to dampen a rubbing pad with lacquer thinner. Gently swipe it (1 pass) over the spot - like an airplane doing a touch and go. Let the thinner evaporate and swipe again. Don't rub it and don't re-swipe before the thinner has evaporated - let the thinner work for you. Whatever technique you try, you may have to adjust the sheen after the spot is gone.