Repairing and Delaminating Edgebanding

Fixes for edgebanding that is lifting off of particleboard shelf edges. November 13, 2009

Question
We glued some edge banding to the lead edges of some retail shelves about a year ago. We used LePages contact cement and glued p-lam to the particle core edges, lam trimmed, filed and installed - no problems. Recently I got a call and to my horror - about 10 of the 30 lead edges are literally falling off. What is the fastest, best way to fix these?

How many coats of glue did you use the first time? Edges always soak up more glue so you have to make sure you have enough. I would take a can of spray contact cement and a roll of tape and get busy. You should also check all the other shelves you did because they will probably come off eventually.

We did a coat of glue on the laminate and a coat of glue on the particle board side - and then waited. What do you think will happen if we try to do the repairs with superglue?

One thing you could try is to heat the edgebanding with a hot air gun. Contact cement reactivates with heat, however, I think contributor S is probably right when he says there's too little glue. You said you applied it to both surfaces but if you are using brush grade glue, I would recommend gluing the particle board first, then doing the laminate and then doing the particle board a second time. Particle board is a sponge and one coat just doesn't cut it.

You also said you "waited". That's the right thing to do so long as you don't wait too long (15 minutes is normally plenty) and the glue loses its tack. I'm skeptical about the super glue idea. I think you are going to have to re-glue the edges with contact. Pull all the edges off, get a spray bomb of contact cement, stack the shelves (or mask the faces) and spray all the edges at once. Then spray the edging and put it back on. You'll have to clean the edges slightly.

You always put two coats of glue when doing edging unless you are prepared to seal the edges first which takes longer than putting two layers of glue. You would have greater success with carpenters glue and taping it on while it sets up, than with super glue. I still think a can of contact and tape, and do it like contributor K suggests and you will be fine.

I've been using for about 12-15 years a nitro-cellulose scratch filler used in auto painting. The stuff is very sticky and sets fast. I use canned duster, absolutely no oil or moisture. Then I fill the edge, let it set for about one hour, sand, look for any low spots and repeat. When I've got a level surface then it's ready for contact cement. I haven't had one lift yet.

The super glue will work a bit messy, however fast. We "quick" edge band with super glue without problems. Next time use PVC band and have it applied through an edgebander. You will save many more dollars than you spend.