Replacing a Planer Cable with an Auto Speedometer Cable

      It turns out that the cable driving a readout on an old planer is replaceable with an automobile part. March 13, 2014

Does anybody know who is representing parts for SAC planers?

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From contributor C:
I learned recently that SAC machinery parts are no longer available. The cable that drives the read-out display has frayed and snapped. The cable is about 84 inches long and is squared off at both ends. The square part sleeves into the read out at top of machine and is similarly hooked up to the motor that raises and lowers the planer bed. The black hose part is about 3/8 inch diameter. I am not sure if the whole assembly gets replaced or if you just change out the cable inside the black hose. Does anybody know what this kind of cable is called or where to get one?

Click here for higher quality, full size image

From contributor X:
Did you check AMC machinery? They use to advertise SAC parts in the classifieds section here at WOODWEB.

From contributor F:
I am going to make a suggestion that may sound crazy, but what do you have to lose? The cable you are looking at looks very much like an old mechanical speedometer cable. Whatever the vintage and nationality this planer is, letís just say 1983 Italian, find an old Fiat or such and pull the old speedo cable and casing. The length will not be as critical as fittings on the ends of the cable.

From the original questioner:
I ordered a Universal Speedometer Cable Kit. These show up with one end already square and the other one a cut-to-size with crimp on fitting. The whole solution cost $21.95 including freight.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: General

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2017 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article