Resawing PVC

Advice on locating 1/8-inch PVC material, or making it in the shop out of thicker stock. January 9, 2015

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Project Gallery Shop Built Equipment Gallery Categories

Has anyone ever run PVC stock through a resaw? We may need to create some 1/8" x 6" to 8" strips. We can cut from two edges on the table saw and then finish on the bandsaw. However, I might try it on the resaw. We run steel blades on the resaw with 3/4" hook tooth spacing. I've tried carbide tipped blades but am not happy with the kerf widths.

From Contributor W
Member

I believe you can just buy PVC in 1/8 thickness right, or is this some stock for reuse?

From the original questioner

Kleer goes down to 3/8" and Versatex's thinnest is 1/4". I don't know about the others but would be interested in finding out.

From Contributor W
Member

I imagine it is a trim piece and flat, have you looked at Sintra?

From Contributor W
Member

The white layer on this gamecock is .125 white, the second is a grey .25 and the aluminum background is .5 black with the alu laminated on.

From the original questioner

Thanks I'll look into Sintra.

From Contributor W
Member

Most all sign material wholesalers will carry it. We use Piedmont plastics.

I ran a production plastic shop about 20 years ago and still help a few friends with their difficult stuff. One thing I have found, which is very reasonably priced, is to get a Koolmist sprayer, which I use on a couple of grinders for sharpening. With a magnetic base you can set it so it sprays a mist of water right where the blade enters the cut. This will keep the melt down, and stop the welding on the side of the tooth. A sharp blade and proper feed rate are the main thing after that.