Resources for Southern Tree Identification

How to find information on identifying trees in Louisiana and vicinity. March 3, 2006

To those of you who live in the South - namely Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama… I'd like to find a book to help me identify trees native to this area - one which shows the leaf, bark, and fruit/nuts of the tree, etc.

You sound like you want to do this at a professional level. Try a Google search using the word DENDROLOGY.

You might try "The Audubon Society Field Guide To North American Trees (Eastern Region)." A very good book for tree ID. It contains all of the subject matter you require and as the title says, is specific to the eastern U.S.

If you can find a copy of "Trees of the South" by Charlotte Hilton Green, copyright 1939, that might be helpful. I found my copy in a used book store.

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm from Wisconsin but have been living in Louisiana for the last 4 years. Up north, I knew pretty much all of the tree identities by sight from growing up around them. Down here I find myself scratching my head sometimes. Any other suggestions on books or field guides would be welcome.

I'm a state forester for OK we have a tree book that pertains to only native trees and a few introduced trees in OK. This way you have a dozen oaks to page through, vs. many dozen oaks if you get a tree ID book of the eastern US. I'd suggest you contact the LA forester folks to order a state book from them.

In regard to the Audubon Tree ID book, it has maps that show the region these trees grow in. So you may have 50 oaks in the book, but only 15 grow in your area and the maps identify which are specific to your area.

I live in Alabama and I have found a web site that has been very useful to me in identifying trees of the Southeast. This site helps identify trees by name, leaf, and/or bark:

I use this book: "Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines of the Southwest." It's a large book from University of Texas Press, Austin. ISBN # 0-292-73414-X. The illustrations are black and white and hand drawn, but very comprehensive.