Restricting Cabinet Door Swing

      Options for restricting cabinet door outswing to prevent collisions. May 15, 2012

I have installed a cabinet door with Blum hinges. I need to limit its opening to about 80 degrees to prevent the door hitting the handle of an adjacent appliance (see photos below). I haven't been able to find a hinge limiter that will do this. Does anyone know if there's limiter that will do this?

Click here for higher quality, full size image

Click here for higher quality, full size image

Click here for higher quality, full size image

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From contributor J:
The cleanest look to restrict the opening that I could suggest is the Blum restrictor clips. The only thing is they only work in the 107 and 170 degree hinges and stop the angle at 86 degrees. I'm sure there are some other options for a restrictor but I can't just think of what the technical name for them is at the moment, it would have a slide bar mounted to back of the door and not look the best and also be a little more expensive than just using a small chain as a restrictor. Hope this helps and if need be I can get an exact name for the option that I can't recall the name of, if the Blum clips don't work for you.

From contributor Z:
A small chain is only answer. Hinge limiters stop at 90 degrees. Iíve been there myself and now make standard 2-2 1/2 fillers to prevent this scenario. Slide-in stoves with large handles are the worst to anticipate and I will go to a showroom to see them on display whenever possible.

From contributor M:
Blum actually makes two different limiters, one for the standard 107 degree hinges and the 110 degree Blumotion hinges. Both limit the swing to 86 degrees.

From contributor W:
I can testify to the Blum restriction clip. I have, like an idiot, created so many designs that have doors banging into appliances or columns or adjacent doors. I have a whole box of 107* Blum clip top hinges with the add-on restriction clip ready to go when need be like your situation. Also, check out the Blum Inserta type hinge. You will be amazed at how much time you save installing hinges on your doors.

From contributor W:
I'm sorry. I was too fast to respond. I see you need less than what the clip will do. Just trying to help, but could you replace the filler with a 3/4" wider filler then trim off 3/4" from the door and drawer front. You would have to use inset hinges and hopefully also have room to move that trash pullout over.

From contributor Z:
I have been using the inserts and the plates with the cams and nylon dowels ever since they were introduced. The time saved is worth every penny.

From the original questioner:
In response to Contributor W, the problem with replacing the filler is that it is grain matched to the door as well as to the trim piece around the corner. Also, the trash pull-out can't be moved any further to the right because of the plumbing for the sink. At present it is at a slight angle to allow it to extend without hitting the door.

From contributor W:
I wonder if a negative degree shim will work?

From contributor Z:
A negative shim will throw the line of the door off with the dummy drawer face that is above it and the reveal of the filler. I have used a fine chain from Home Depot attached to the door and cabinet side and it works well.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: Cabinet Door Construction

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article