Restricting Euro Hinge Swing

A cabinetmaker gets advice on preventing a glass door from swinging too wide and contacting an appliance. September 23, 2006

Question
I just finished a cabinet job and the owner pointed out a minor detail to me which could come back to haunt me. One of the uppers - which is tight to the right of the stainless steel range hood - has a single door hinged left with Blum 120º clip-on hinges.

When the door is opened the panel hits the range hood at about 95º. This would not really be an issue if the panel was wood (a couple of discreetly placed fisheye door bumpers on the hood would solve the problem) but these uppers have expensive glass panels. While the owners are aware of this and say they'll be careful I think it's just a matter of time before a guest - or someone - opens the door a bit too robustly and I would have to shell out for another $60.00 piece of German New Antique glass. I've searched for 75º euro hinges or something similar, or other means of stopping the swing before 90º, but have not had any luck. Can anyone help?

Buy some thin chrome chain from H.D. and screw it into the top of the cabinet inside and cut it to the required length so that when you screw the other end to the door frame the door only opens 90 degrees or less. It’s not beautiful, but it's inside and cannot be seen unless glass is clear.

Thanks, but the glass is clear. This is an idea, though - some kind of added restriction.

Look at different lid stays. Mount it to the top of the door and the cabinet. Hafele has a number of different types, sizes and styles.

Check with your Blum rep or Blum tech support. Euro hinge manufacturers such as Hettich, Mepla and Salice have offered a spring clip that stops a door at 90° for wide opening hinges.

Try this: use Blum 107 deg hinge, and buy an angle restriction clip - b074.1103. They are under $.50 and stop the door at 86 degrees. The hinge comes in Inserta - press in, and screw on.

I think it's great that you are thinking ahead and being responsible, but I don't think that if they break the glass that you should be the one to pay for it. We can't solve every problem for every person. This is not to say you shouldn't change the hinges if you can find one that works. That’s good customer service.

I agree with contributor C, you need the clips. Check your Blum catalog, I think they are called reduction clips or limit clips.

A Blum thick door hinge (which works on either a thick door or regular door) only opens 95 degrees.

Blum has a hinge reduction clip that reduces the 107 degree hinge to 86 degrees.