Returning Bad Parts when Having a CNC Machine Repaired

Miscommunication about who is responsible for getting bad parts back to the factory can create issues for CNC owner and manufacturer. January 27, 2008

Question
Biesse technician comes in to fix a reoccurring problem with our EBTR-120 panel saw. He orders an electronic part and when the part comes in, technician comes in to install new part. Instead of taking the defective part, he leaves the old part and goes home. Then I get an invoice 3 months later that since the defective part was not shipped back to Biesse within 15 days of replacement, we have to pay for the part that was replaced under warrantee. Why did he leave the defective part? Is this a normal trick they pull to make the customer pay for the part under warrantee?

From Brian Personett, forum technical advisor:
Depends on where you and your tech are located. Many times the techs may go months without going to their facilities. Techs often fly into one location then fly off to another. In my opinion, it's your machine, it's your responsibility to get the part back to them. In this situation, I would just call and explain the situation. I would think they would work with you.

The Biesse service branch office and parts center is 15 minutes away. The tech ordered the part. He could have taken the faulty part back, don't you think!?

Call your Biesse sales rep and explain the situation. If he is like my rep, he will do whatever he can to make things right. We have a few Biesse machines and they usually will work with you. I do have to agree that most manufacturers will want the defective part back on warranty parts.

Some manufacturers issue a UPS will call tag to have the part picked up and returned.

We have considered the purchase of a Selco saw. What problems were you having?

I for one do not blame you for your displeasure in this situation. The only way I would agree with the others here is if you aren't telling the whole story. I can say our machine company would not dream of handling something in this manner. I would not handle a replacement part situation like this with one of my customers either.

20 or more service calls in the first year we had the award winning EBTR120 saw. Below are just some of the main issues we experienced in the first year of use:
1.) Saw does not cut all the way across panel. Laser material sensor misaligned.
2.) Side aligner broke off or bent at least five times due to poor machine logic.
3.) Auxiliary pusher hits upper main pusher beam.
4.) 3-4 times per day turning table does not come down stopping the machine. Forcing operators to stop using turning table due to constant interruptions.
5.) Automatic rear load does not feed the bundle to proper position. Then main pusher pushes material against stops, causing the entire pusher to go out of square.
6.) Control software crashing or freezing, forcing operator to restart machine.
7.) Encoders not working correctly, causing pour cut quality due to incorrect saw blade projection.
8.) Half the safety flaps already broken due to brittle and inflexible design.

All issues with the machine in question have been for the most part resolved by Biesse. Their service and help in this matter have been nothing short of amazing.

From contributor Q:
Just for clarity, I have worked for several machine manufacturers, including Biesse, and all have had very similar policies. To delicately put this, to send parts back via the technician is "loose business." If the part gets misplaced or lost, now there is one more variable in the equation. Most companies have a return authorization policy that is rather structured. Typically this does not include Tommy Technician hand delivering parts to the stock room or the customer. I can only imagine this has gotten worse since Sarbanes/Oxley! As you know, some of these components are costly. Typically technicians will not bring parts with them either for the same reasons! May not make sense, but... it is what it is!