Risk of Spreading the Emerald Ash Borer

Advice on the kind of hygeine that may help prevent the spread of emerald ash borer insects. April 27, 2007

Question
Now that the dreaded borer is near where I live, SW Ohio, I have a few questions. Will the borer attack logs on the ground? I have some old ash trees laying around that are no longer good for sawlogs. Should I burn them now? If I saw ash, can I assume no borers if I have clean boards with no bark? I have a potential customer in an area of infection north of me, and I wonder if the sawn boards will be safe to bring home, where we are not yet infected. I definitely do not want to do anything to bring it here, as a quarter of my 20 acres of woods are ash. I would sure hate to cut them down. Can I saw logs in an infected area without bringing back the borer on my mill, as long as I clean the mill before coming home?

>> Will the borer attack logs on the ground?
It is possible, but not likely.

>> I have some old ash laying around that are no longer good for sawlogs. Should I burn them now?
Probably no urgency in burning, but that would be a good idea.

>> If I saw ash, can I assume no borers if I have clean boards with no bark?
No.

>> I have a potential customer in an area of infection north of me, and I wonder if the sawn boards will be safe to bring home…
This would be very risky. They need to be dried first.

>> Can I saw logs in an infected area without bringing back the borer on my mill, as long as I clean the mill before coming home?
Good question. If you clean it 100% of all sawdust, bark, etc., then probably (but not 100%) okay.