Roller Durability on a Williams and Hussey Moulder

The yellow rollers last longer than the green ones. October 19, 2013

Question
I'm running a 1 1/8" x 5 1/2" poplar casing elliptical head. Narrowest is 4-0, widest is 8-0. Height is 14". I am running on a W&H with a Boneyman jig. Hussey is set up for multipass. Inside profile is a 3/16" radius bead. Outside edge is flat 1 1/4 across.

I am making 3 passes per head. Everything goes along fine except the last pass starts to grind away the roller, which is green. If I am only running 7 or 8 heads it is okay. Last job was 32 and it was a real pain. Next job is 14 heads. Do I just have to figure in a couple outfeed rollers per job or am I doing something wrong? I was thinking a VS motor would help.

From contributor J

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Categories

You might look into their yellow rollers. They are a little harder. My W&H had the green rollers originally and I wore through them pretty quick.

From contributor B

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Project Gallery Shop Built Equipment Gallery Categories

We'll run hundreds if not a thousand or more curved mouldings with the yellow rollers before replacing. They wear but I don't replace them until the thin spot gets close to the steel core. No reason to, as they still grab fine. The last set on our primary W-H went several years before replacing them a few months ago.

I was under the impression that I should run green on the outfeed (green is harder than the yellow) but I will switch it out with a yellow and see how it goes. Thanks for the input. Do either of you have the vari-speed on the Hussey?

From contributor B

We have the variable speed on the primary machine and the old style gear box on the second W-H. If you get the variable speed unit, buy the one direct from W-H. Even though Schmidt came out with it first, the W-H is a much better unit. At least that's how it used to be. I haven't seen a new Schmidt unit in a number of years and they may have improved the design.

Are you putting paste wax on the bed? Reducing friction on the bed and helping with some hand pressure on the feed can help.