Roller Stands for Sheet Goods

Shop owners discuss various kinds of roller stands, rolling tables, and stationary outfeed tables for handling sheet goods. December 28, 2005

I'm a one man cabinet shop just starting out. I need to buy roller stands to help me move sheet goods. I'm looking at the ball-bearing style because I could move a sheet in any direction. Can the small contact surface of the ball-bearings leave marks on plywood?

Yes it can, especially in the softer veneer faces like mahogany or pine. If this happens, it's relatively easy to raise the crushed grain with a little water and a hot iron. But generally, I stick with the single large roller type. My slider has a 10' x 2' roller conveyer inboard and outboard, and these leave no marks.

Since I have both, here is my personal answer - you are right and contributor A is also. However, I have found that the single roller is a real problem and it will steer your sheet where you donít want it if it is not exactly square to the direction of travel. The multiple rollers do not steer, and I have not used the single in quite a while. Regarding any marks, I havenít found that problem as yet.

I am a one man operation also. Use the money for a couple sheets of melamine and build an outfeed table. You can use it for assembly as well. Make your tables, benches and other tool stands all 34" then you can slide you sheet goods across from one to the other. The stands are no good. They steer your wood, block your wood and fall over at the most inopportune times. They are dangerous. I am referring to single roller, ball bearing style and the Rigid ones with a tilting board. I have them all and they all collect dust. Make all of your stationary tools the same height and use one as in/out feed for the others and use tables if you can. You will like tables much better than the stands.

Thanks to all for your input on roller stands. I think I will build a couple of rolling tables to solve my dilemma. I visited a local shop and thatís all they use and it works well for them. Theirs all have melamine tops with rounded edges, and are height matched to equipment.

Make your own with swiveling casters - the kind with soft rubber wheels.