Rough and Finish Bit Choices for Paperstone

Paperstone can be routed, but it is a hard, dense material that calls for multiple passes to machine a clean edge. April 19, 2011

Question
I have an upcoming job that requires 1" thick Paperstone for the tops. My understanding is that it can be cut/routed like solid surface. Does anyone have any experience with the product or tooling suggestions? I want to cut the 5 x 12 sheets on our CNC. I have read about "O" Flute bits for solid surface, but do not know how they differ from standard 2 flute, down shear or compression bits.

I use a roughing bit (1/2 in.) to first get it down close to my size, leaving about 1/32 inch. Then use a finishing bit (1/2 in.) to bring to size. I would suggest down shearing bits for both operations. As far as speed and feeds, you will be confined to your machine specs and horsepower. Getting this material in a 5x12x1 up onto the machine and into position is going to be a challenge. I don't know what the total weight will be, but it will be more than I could ever lift on my best day. You will need an army to load it. No doubt. It does machine very well, but it is hard as rock.

What is the difference in a rouging bit and a finish bit? I am new to CNC. Is it the angle the down shear is on? I have 10 guys and a forklift if need be for moving it. Is it fragile? Cracks easily?

It's not fragile, just heavy and hard. A roughing bit has serrated edges and goes very well through solid surfaces, but it leaves a rough edge on your finished surface. Such as the bit I use, Onsrud #60-053, and for finish I use Onsrud #60-249. Onsrud can give you a starting point for speed and feed depending on the HP of your spindle. The depth of your cut will have to be incremental, as you probably won't be able to make the cut in one pass. I would make 2 passes at 1/2" each. Make the finish cut in one pass full depth of 1 in.