Rub-Through Distressed Solid Finish Ideas

      Antiqued rub-through furniture finishes are more art than science. Here are two takes on getting it done. March 9, 2010

I building some tables that I want to put an old-looking paint finish on. What would you suggest for a worn finish look in a light color, like white or off-white? I'm thinking of either rubbed through milk paint with some glazing and maybe a topcoat, or an oil paint finish with glazing. What have you used (materials and steps, please) that has given you a good look?

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From contributor J:
1. Stain.
2. White pre-cat 2x.
3. Scuff 280
4. Sand thru distressing with 220.
5. File/nail/frosting punch/etc distressing.
6. Burnt umber glaze.
7. Pre-cat clear seal.
8. 150 sandpaper etching, worm holes.
9. VBD glaze left to dry on the surface.
10. Burnish with tight rag ball moistened with VM&P.
11.Pre-cat topcoat dull.

From contributor A:
Your finish schedule there looks labor intensive - what would you charge for such a piece of craftsmanship?

From contributor J:
We've done this over maple and cherry in a clear version as well. Just substitute clear seal coats for the pigmented ones. It is a little of a specialty finish, not a shoot-and-scoot. I recently did a sideboard (two doors, five drawers) in the pigmented, stripping 280, finishing 1720, door to door. The piece capped off a tuscany theme the designer had going in the room, so little haggling on price.

From contributor B:
The easy way to get the look you’re going for is tint vinyl sealer to the color you want, spray it on after it dries, distress with a rag and some thinner, then topcoat with clear (make sure you do a test sample first). I did a bar that I coated with red, green, and black, and after drying I rubbed through with a soft cloth and thinner then coated with dull finish.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2017 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article