Rub-Through Distressed Solid Finish Ideas

Antiqued rub-through furniture finishes are more art than science. Here are two takes on getting it done. March 9, 2010

Question
I building some tables that I want to put an old-looking paint finish on. What would you suggest for a worn finish look in a light color, like white or off-white? I'm thinking of either rubbed through milk paint with some glazing and maybe a topcoat, or an oil paint finish with glazing. What have you used (materials and steps, please) that has given you a good look?

1. Stain.
2. White pre-cat 2x.
3. Scuff 280
4. Sand thru distressing with 220.
5. File/nail/frosting punch/etc distressing.
6. Burnt umber glaze.
7. Pre-cat clear seal.
8. 150 sandpaper etching, worm holes.
9. VBD glaze left to dry on the surface.
10. Burnish with tight rag ball moistened with VM&P.
11.Pre-cat topcoat dull.

Your finish schedule there looks labor intensive - what would you charge for such a piece of craftsmanship?

We've done this over maple and cherry in a clear version as well. Just substitute clear seal coats for the pigmented ones. It is a little of a specialty finish, not a shoot-and-scoot. I recently did a sideboard (two doors, five drawers) in the pigmented, stripping 280, finishing 1720, door to door. The piece capped off a tuscany theme the designer had going in the room, so little haggling on price.

The easy way to get the look you’re going for is tint vinyl sealer to the color you want, spray it on after it dries, distress with a rag and some thinner, then topcoat with clear (make sure you do a test sample first). I did a bar that I coated with red, green, and black, and after drying I rubbed through with a soft cloth and thinner then coated with dull finish.