Rung Remedies

Suggesteed repairs for loose chair rungs - 1998

Q. I live in a fairly warm apartment in NYC. The rungs of my chairs are constantly coming apart. Is there an adhesive I can safely and effectively use to correct this problem?

I have read that whenever such dowels come unglued, the chair should be taken apart and completely redone. Is this necessary?

A. When repairing or restoring furniture it is best to take the piece completely apart and sand the joints to bare wood. This will assure the best bond.

That said, there are products on the market that can offer a quick fix for loose chair rungs. Lee Valley sells a product called "Chair Doctor." They can be reached at 800-267-8767.

Jeff Pitcher is Marketing Director for Custom-Pak Adhesives in Newark, Ohio.