Running Synthetic Trim Materials Through a Moulder

Advice on running plastic trim stock through a moulder. July 28, 2006

A customer asked me if I would mind running some Fypon or similar product through my moulder. Is this possible? How will it effect my machine (Superset)? Are there any downsides to doing this? Thank you.

What is Fypon? What kind of moulder do you operate? You said Superset, and I'm not sure what type of moulder that is.

Fypon is a semi-rigid polyurethane foam product. They make all types of moldings, balusters and heads for doors and windows, etc. I didn't think that it was run through a molder, I thought it was made in a form. If somehow you got some blanks, such as flat trim casing, I suppose you could run it through a molder. The problems I see are going to be caused by it being soft and sticky. In other words, your molder may not be able to get a grip on it to pull it through. It is very soft compared to wood and I don't see how it could harm the molder. I can think that the foam would become electrostatically clingy, though, and may stick to the side walls of your duct collection tubing and bags.

Also, Fypon has a tough outer coating that is put on at the factory for ease of painting and durability. If you run it through the molder you will remove this coating and expose the less durable foam base on the inside. I don't know if you can replicate the external coating to the degree that the Fypon company does.

Not sure why you would run Fypon either, as it is usually preformed. I wonder if they mean flex mould or something of that nature for radius work. We have run that with some success (easy way to produce radius mouldings).

Is this the same material as the brand name Trimtec, which is used as an exterior moulding? If so, I've run thousands of board feet through my moulder, planer and shapers without incident. Dust collection was not affected and although the hard shiny surface was sheared away, it painted up well. Your chips, or should I say flakes, will be rendered useless for resale though (LOL).

From Dave Rankin, forum technical advisor:
You should be able to run this material through your SCM Superset. I use M2 steel knives for most length runs under 8,000 lineal feet. Avoid mixing the dust from this material with sawdust unless you are hauling the waste to the landfill. 20 degree hook head with a 25-28 degree grind angle has proven to work the best.