Sanding Epoxy Inlay to a Gloss

When sanding an epoxy inlay fill with a fine grit, a woodworker worries about finish adhering to the adjacent wood. December 31, 2013

We have been making large slab tables and filling large voids with a wood inlay and then covering with epoxy. In an effort to sand the epoxy to a glass-like finish we also have to sand the surrounding wood to a very high grit (1500). Is there a worry that the final finish, satin oil poly, will not stick to the finely sanded wood? Is there a better way to sand the epoxy to a glass finish?

From Contributor O:
I've been doing the same, except for using black fresco powder mixed into the epoxy, which makes the epoxy look like a dark part of the wood, especially on woods like walnut. I just sand to the same grit as the rest of the piece, usually 220. The finish will then make the epoxy as glossy as you wish.

Thanks for the response. However, I am trying to see through the epoxy to see the inlay underneath, so a black epoxy will not work.

From Contributor O:
What I was trying to say is that the finish will make the epoxy transparent. I made a table many years ago where I actually made a dam around some parts of the slab and poured it full of epoxy, about 1/4" - 1/2" at a time. After sanding it, yes, it was cloudy and I couldn't see through it, but the first coat of finish made the whole epoxy buildup look like glass.

What kind of finish did you use?

apiro
From Contributor O:
It was something called "Humicure", which I can no longer get in California. Don't know if it's still available anywhere else. As I said, this was years ago. I would think that any clear film finish would accomplish the same thing.

I would never sand wood to 150 grit. The highest you should go is 180. Your first coat is a sealer coat and itís the finish that you sand to achieve a level high gloss, not the wood. Sanding the wood so fine can definitely affect the adhesion of the finish.