Sanding with Abranet

Fine points of using Abranet sanding screens. March 28, 2012

Question
Mirka Abranet claims awesome dust collection, less loading, and two times the life of conventional paper. If this is true it seems like a no brainer. My supplier sells them for 70 cents a sheet. Any thoughts?

I have used it for solid surface fabrication and it works well for that but I did not like it as well for sanding wood. I have never used it for sanding between finishes so I can't help you there. I will just end by saying what a company claims and what you actually experience in the field may not be the same.

It is absolutely great. To me it is the best option for sanding and prep before staining. I start with 120, and depending on color and finish I go up to 180. I donít use between coats.

Why don't you use it between coats?

I do it by hand and I use different kinds of sandpapers according to the surface and finish. Only with flat panels I like to use Abranet 320 grit after the sealer, and then a finish it by hand.

I have used it between finish coats and it works great. I only have one problem - the abrasive goes quickly and it is too expensive. It does a wonderful job, but isn't cost effective.

I use 320g Abranet with a SGV air sander, for sanding between coats. I still use and prefer paper backed 150g for raw wood sanding. If youíre using Abranet you must use a pad protector or it'll ruin your regular pad (too thin a sheet wears the hook and loop on the pad).

Also, Abranet tears easily and can make a mess of the surface if not caught immediately. On the plus side it breaths very well so SGV works when the air sander is slowed down for less aggressive sanding. Also, with a pad protector on the sander it doesn't work as well at leveling and tends to round sharp corners. It gives the effect of sanding through a soft sponge instead of rigid pad.