Sawing Ash with Emerald Ash Borer

There are restrictions on the transport of infested wood. Mill hygeine may be a good idea too. May 20, 2011

Question
I'm a hobby sawyer in Indiana that cuts timber from our own property for my own woodworking. A friend five miles away says he needs to cut down several ash trees because the EAB has killed them. My mill is portable - I could take it to his property and cut then bring the lumber back to my home. Since the EAB is in the outer-most layer of the tree it seems possible to cut away the bad and keep the good. Is it worth the trouble/risk?

Assuming the ash wood is still sound, your method sounds good to me. The EAB is under the bark in the cambium layer. Remove the bark and smash any green bugs you see.

Are you both in the quarantine zone? It is possible that your mill, after sawing, will have some debris on it that could include the EAB. Perhaps most important is to check with Indiana and see what the guidelines or the law is in that state. Some states restrict the movement of ash wood.

Gene - good point, thanks. I called Indiana DNR and they said our area is quarantined, so I can cut and use the lumber myself but can't take it outside our county. I haven't committed to doing this job, but if I do I'll take extra care to get rid of debris and any insects.

A leaf blower is part of my regular portable milling equipment collection. One needs to blow out around the battery and blade housings every couple hours anyway. At the end of the day go over your mill thoroughly. You have to know where debris accumulates. On my LT-40 stuff can get in the main tube which can be blown out by removing the tail end cap and the hydraulic box cover for example. Not that I do this area every time, but certainly if sawing ash somewhere I would. I'm worried that someday there's going to be an impact on moving a mill, not just the wood, from these pest problems.