Sawing Hickory

... is not like a walk in the park. Here are tips that might make it a little easier. September 14, 2006

Question
Will be getting some hickory in next week. Never cut it before. Any suggestions?

I don't know what kind of mill you have, or what you are used to sawing. I will just say it's hard sawing. I don't really like sawing it. Nothing difficult or unusual about sawing and drying it, it's just hard wood.

Hickory is one wood where you need to think about going to a bi-metal blade if you want to make some production and avoid wavy lumber. I use a Lenox bi-metal B with a smaller pitch (I think it's 3/4). Watch out when you slab shag bark; try to get below the bark all the way down the log, or get ready to be seasick from the waves. Good luck - I don't like to mess with it, but it seems to always show up, and doesn't bring much money for the small guy. Oh yeah, don't have a heart attack when you see the price of the bi-metal ($40 vs $15).

We saw lots of hickory. Use a debarker and there won't be any problem. We bought a debarker that fits on a chainsaw bar and it works great.

During this time of year (May), you need to get the shell of the hickory lumber dry quickly or you have the blues.

Hickory cuts better than oak. Just make sure you cut it ASAP, because of what contributor A said, and also it will cut better when it's still full of water. Once it starts drying out, it's a pain to cut.

You were all right about the hickory! Would rather cut white pine.