Sawing Palm Trees

Palm wood is probably more trouble than it's worth. July 13, 2006

Question
Does anyone have any experience using palm trees for lumber?

Yes, I have sawed cabbage palm (sabel). Only if someone came to me with a whole lot of money would I do it again. A band blade on my mill was dull after two boards in a 12 foot log. It's like cutting sandstone. If the guy got them dried, and if they stiffened up, they would make fine surfaces. It can be pretty stuff. I don't want any more of it.

The density can vary a great deal from bark to core, so not all the stem makes good lumber. Palm is seldom sawn for this reason.