Scrubbing "Fingerprints" from a CAD File

Once a "fingerprint" watermark finds its way into your CAD file folder, lots of drawings may get infected by the stamp. Here's help deleting that mess from your situation. February 19, 2011

Question
I downloaded an office chair block from CAD Block Exchange Network. I did not understand the "Student Version...Plot Stamp" message when I put it in with a group of office furniture blocks I had collected. I soon realized what the message meant and deleted the block and purged. Now anything from that collection of blocks creates a "Student..." plot stamp. What can I do to undo this? I can't afford to get rid of all the other blocks. They all seem to be contaminated.

(CAD Forum)
I haven't had to deal with a student version drawing yet. My first thought would be to open each block and save them in your current version. After that you would still have to redefine each block that you already have inserted in your drawings.

You will need to open each infected drawing file and save it down to the oldest dxf version you can. This used to work; not sure if it will still work.

Thanks. The R12dxf trick does not seem to work in AC2009. Neither does exploding and redefining. It is unfortunate that everything the edu block comes in contact with becomes infected. Be warned.

I had this happen also from an architect's drawing. AutoCAD has a program that will remove the stamp, but you will have to contact them and talk them into giving you access. We had to have the architect talk to them and prove he had a valid license before they would help.

I'd restore your system back a couple of semesters or Google a solution through Autodesk.

How to get rid of the "Educational Stamp" in AutoCAD:

1> save the DWG file as a 2000 DXF format file.
2> browse to the location of the DXF file and open it in NOTEPAD.
3> select "edit" and then "find" from the menu (or press CTRL + F).
4> type in the word "fingerprint" - without the quotation marks, of course - and press enter.
5> you will be taken to a section of text that looks like this (or very similar):
$PSTYLEMODE
290
1
9
$FINGERPRINTGUID
2
{**alphanumeric string goes here**}
9
$VERSIONGUID
2
{**alphanumeric string goes here**}
9
$EXTNAMES
6> delete the following lines:
$FINGERPRINTGUID
2
{**alphanumeric string goes here**}
9
$VERSIONGUID
2
{**alphanumeric string goes here**}
9
7> the file should now read like this:
$PSTYLEMODE
290
1
9
$EXTNAMES

8> *Make sure you don't leave any blank lines or extra spaces! It should look exactly like this!*
9> save the file