Sealing MDF Spoilboard Edges

Quick and effective ways to seal spoilboard edges. December 28, 2014

Does anyone have a good way to seal the edges of MDF for spoilboards? We are using the foil tape, but it is a pain in the neck. Is there a more effective way to seal the edges - maybe paint?

From Contributor J:
We mix wood glue with water 50/50 and seal them.

How do you apply it - brush or roller?

From Contributor J:
We use both depending on what we have at hand.

From Contributor W

We used to run them through the bander (wood or p-lam - do not use PVC). Contributor Jís method is far better.

I like to use iron-on edgebanding.

We use two coats auto body primer, using strips of cardboard to protect the bed.

Caulk works great.

Run it through the bander without tape. Remember to back off the pressure wheels so the glue will stay on the wood.

From Contributor D:
We buy five-six sheets of standard, double refined (not ultralight) MDF and stack them in the spray booth. I spray all the edges with four-five coats of clear lacquer, sanding lightly between coats. I block off the top sheet to minimize overspray, but it doesn't really matter much because you get rid of it when you make the first pass surfacing the spoilboard. I used to edgeband the boards, but got tired of the banding chipping when we surfaced the panel. I was also amazed at how much better our vacuum pump works using this method - the gauge shows about ten more PSI than before, even when there is no sheet on the machine. The lacquer really seals the edges completely. I just used the last sheet and am about to buy another five-six sheets. These lasted me about eight months, but obviously it depends on how much you are using the router.

Thanks to all who have responded. The 50/50 glue water mix really works well for us. The spray booth idea may be something we will try in the future.