Secretary Desk Hinge Reveal

Advice on trying to narrow the gap at the hinge for a secretary desk. June 8, 2011

Below is a picture of the type of project I'm constructing. I just received my hinges and did a test run. When the lid is closed the bottom edge shows a reveal or gap above the fixed shelf of 1/8 inch. I'm trying to determine how to reduce this amount. It seems too large a gap, but I have never dealt with secretary hinges before.

You might try cheating the mortise farther into the lid and rail. Mill a bit of cove to bury the hinge knuckles into. You would not need very much from both to mostly close that gap. 1/8" does seem a bit much, but a look at antiques will certainly show you a gap.

The hinges in the test were deeped to achieve a smaller gap. It still was not enough. The hinges look like they have to be deeped past the point of flush. I can bevel the edges of the top of the mortise to fake it out. Hope it works.

Maybe find a hinge with smaller knuckles?

Thanks for the help. I'm close to done and the lid worked out fine.

I made a similar desk about 20 years ago. Here's how I did mine.

I tried to fix a secretary desk hinge by having it brazed, but I ended up having to repair more than expected. Hope it works out well.