Securing Island Cabinets with Leg Levelers

Installers share thoughts on the best way to lock island cabinets into place when set on leg levelers. September 4, 2005

Question
I am wondering how to secure an island that is set up using leg levelers? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't use legs on islands. I use the traditional framed toe kick screwed to the floor and the cabinet screwed on top. Legs work great for something screwed to the wall, but not islands.

Im not sure I agree with Roger. I really like levelers for islands, because I can assemble the island, position it where I want it, and then crank the levelers to fine tune the level, both for the island, and for the adjacent wall cabs. I can also nudge the entire island assembly around while measuring to the installed wall/base cabs.

What I typically do is fasten 2X4's (laying flat) to the floor just inside the perimeter of the toe kick, and then (using 3-4 inch screws) fasten through the island floor. I like this system because it lets me quickly fasten the 2X4's down, and if I leave a couple of inches of slop between the perimeter and the 2X4's, I can shuck the island around a bit for final adjustment, and when I've got things where I want them, I shoot the screws.

One note - I try to place the screws so they dont show when a cabinet door is opened. Personally, I'm only concerned with the preventing the island from being bumped out of position. I figure the island will pretty much stay in place by itself. I suppose the 2X4's could be doubled up for a more secure setup.

I use the levelers on islands, fine tune the level, and then run tapcon screws through the leveler feet to anchor it to the floor.

None of the aforementioned techniques will yield a rock solid island with leg levelers. You have to fill the space between the bottom of the cabinet floor and the floor itself. I usually make a couple of I-beam type pieces out of plywood and install them at 90 degrees to each other. This method has worked very well for me.