Sharp Edges on PVC Banding

Trimmed edge-banding can be sharp enough to cut people, so it's best to file off the edges. November 10, 2006

Question
I'm using hot air to band. I trim by hand with a plane knife. A customer just complained that she got cut on a drawer face (twice). What can I do to dull the edges? I tried sanding, scraping, with no satisfactory result.

You should use a beveled router bit and/or file it. Any woodworking supply should have the router bits and a few types of files that you need.

Or buy one of the Virutex hand trimmers that does it all for you, both sides simultaneously, for about $20.

The Virutex hand trimming gadget works great on .018 PVC.

I don't know if many people realize that, but .018 PVC edging is sharp if hand trimmed. I've cut myself a few times over the years. Although we use Homag banders, we hand band a few custom parts, and trim with razor blades. I take the razor blades, and instead of pushing the direction to cut, I pull it backwards using the back edge of the razor to take off the sharpness. Worked like a charm for many years so far, and many years to come. I hoped I explained that correctly. Try it out. Just hold the razor at a 30-45 degree angle and pull over the edge backwards. I know I'm not the only one who uses that method.

I do the same thing, but a fine file does a nice job as well.

I use the Virutex trimmer to knock down the edges, then go back with a laminate file. It works great.