Shimming Baseboard Moulding with Screws

Tips on dialing in the position of baseboard using shims or screws. February 15, 2015

We just got done running five inch base in a house where the drywall was terrible. They left it short of the bottom plate by 1-1/2 and the corners were flared by the mud, nothing new. To help combat the problem we used a drywall screw into the plate where it met the corner and it acted as a micrometer to turn in and out as needed to square up the corner. It worked really well. We just put a speed square on the floor and turned the screw until it hit and bashed a little drywall - done deal. I hope that maybe someone else can use this to.

The screw is a good idea. I usually keep a pile of narrow 3/4" wide shims in the bucket with the door hanging shims. Often you need to push out a corner of a casing or move a piece of crown out of the corner just a bit - all because of the sheetrock.

Saw this screw a while back. I have used this method for years with micro adjusting for doors in the same fashion but with a regular screw (behind stop). I just screw about 3/16 or so into wood without a countersink and back screw in and out for micro adjustment.

From Gary Katz, forum technical advisor::
Bill Shaw's Trim Adjuster screws are excellent for installing baseboard, and wainscoting frames, too. A lot easier than getting behind something with shims or screws. You can actually shoot the base or wainscoting frames to the wall and then straighten up the corner later!

I have used a shot of low expanding foam, to do the same thing. Hold the base square, for a minute and the extra foam will find and exit point and can be scraped away. Also, the Collins Coping foot guy sells screws designed to do that very thing.

Correction: Not the Collins Coping Tool Guy. The Copemaster Guy - Bill Shaw. TrimAdjuster Screws.