Shopping for a Glue Pressure Pot

Woodworkers share experiences with pressurized glue storage and application systems. June 12, 2013

The recent "Filling Glue Bottles" post got me looking into these systems. Has anyone had any experience with the GlueFast system? I am waiting to hear back on price and availability. The Pizzi systems look fantastic and I am sure over time pay for themselves. I was doing a little investigating as the initial investment is a tough one.

I have a Schneeberger system and itís great!

I think, depending on the work you do, a glue pot pays for itself very fast. I have the small Pizzi glue pot that holds about a gallon. While laminating plywood panels last year it was nice to never run out of glue in the middle of a panel. There are many attachments that can be used for specific jobs and they help to get the right amount of glue in the joint which saves time cleaning squeeze out after the fact and prevent weak joints when not enough glue is applied. It's one of those tools that once you have one you wonder how you ever got along without it.

What about cleanup of the glue pot? Does it have to be done with every use or can it sit for weeks or months in a sealed condition? We have a couple hand held pot rollers we stopped using because cleanup was a pain.

I can easily see the advantages of the pot. What got me thinking is we were just doing a large batch of hand rail glue ups and itís always a chore. The Pizzi is head and shoulders above the glue-fast system I mentioned and when the P&A came back it was the same price so the Pizzi is the no brainer.

Itís just one of those hard decisions in the shop where the economics can be there but breaking off the $1K is a tough one. I will definitely be looking for a job to bury one of these systems, or part of it, in.

The pot can sit for months with PVA glue. I keep mine filled with Titebond III. It is just like leaving the glue in the bottle as only the glue exposed to air dries. That said I have mine sitting unused for a few months and will check it out to see the condition. I do keep the glue gun end submerged in a container with water attached to the side of the glue pot. I fill this every couple of weeks when the water evaporates. Even if the water completely evaporated it would only take a few minutes with a wire to clean the end of the glue gun.

I have one, and to answer your question, there is no clean up. The tip of the glue gun itself is submerged in a water container attached to the pot. Just give it a squirt to get rid of the diluted glue and get back to gluing.