Shopping for a Used Cargo Van

Good ways to locate a good deal on a used work vehicle. April 4, 2011

Question
I'm looking for a place in the TN, VA, NC area to buy good used vans. Any suggestions?

(Business Forum)
We bought a used E150 off of Craigslist. We had to put a few dollars in it, but we've put at least 70k on it in 3 years and it's strong as ever.

We live in TN and searched craigslist for about two weeks looking for a good used van. There were three good 1 ton Dodges in the Knoxville area. We bought one of them. They are great because of the extra length and weight.

I have bought two from dealers that sell Penske rental trucks. They both had less than 100k miles and are in good shape. I'm in California. I would avoid U-Haul like the plague.

Friends have been paying ten to thirty cents on the dollar at auction. Lotta fleet lots, with great maintenance.

The auctions (public) around here are kind of sketchy to me. I like to test drive, etc. Nothing good on craigslist right now either.

I always save for a rainy day. Deals come along when you least expect 'em.

Here in CA, I used an auto broker (a licensed dealer who doesn't maintain stock) to pick up a van from auction for me. He emailed me lists of possible vehicles, and I was able to carfax the VINs, etc.

I ended up with a former fleet vehicle (good maintenance) with no body damage at a price 15-25% lower than Craigslist or a regular dealer.

It even included shelving, tool drawers (which I sold) and a bulkhead partition (essential for your safety!).